Annual Franklin B. Walter All-Scholastic Awards Program and Luncheon
The Franklin B. Walter All-Scholastic Award Program was established by the Ohio Educational Service Center Association (OESCA) to promote and recognize outstanding academic achievement. One senior from each Ohio county who is nominated by an ESC is eligible to receive this honor each spring.
2024 Franklin B. Walter All Scholastic Awards
April 15, 2024
Nationwide Hotel & Conference Center, Lewis Center, OH
- Assessment Rubric for ESCs (guidelines for ESCs as they assess the applications they get from their districts)
- Award Application to Send to Client Districts (editable application that the student completes to apply for the award - make sure you include award amount that the ESC is offering and information on who the counselor should send submissions to at the ESC)
- County Nominee Submission Form (ESCs use to submit the winning student information only for each county served)
- Register for Luncheon (ESCs use to register the student, ESC rep and guests that will attend the recognition program/luncheon)
- Press release template (for use by ESCs locally)
- provide a cash award for their student winner (typically $500-$1000); you may select several award winners for local award programs; however, only a single award nomination per county will be recognized at the state-level event
- manage the application process for client districts
- pay for lunch at the award program in Columbus
- sample applications
- a rubric to use to select a winner
- assessment and selection of student winner in counties served by more than one ESC
- professional photographs (electronically sent to ESCs, hard copy sent to student winner)
- sample press release/promotional support
- physical awards
HOW IT WORKS:
|OESCA sends ESCs the award information.
|January 12, 2024
|Deadline for participating ESCs send the application (and award information) to client districts.
|March 1, 2024
|Students applications from districts/schools are due to the ESC. Three ESC staff members review the applications and choose one student winner for each of the counties it serves. If your ESC serves students in three different counties, you may nominate one student for each county. If more than one ESC serves a particular county, each ESC may nominate a student in the county, then OESCA will select one winner for the county from those submissions.
|March 17, 2024
|The ESC submits student winners for each county served to OESCA online. When all winners are confirmed, the ESC notifies all applicants and invites the winner to the award program and lunch in Columbus.
|April 8, 2024
|ESCs register student award winner, ESC rep and guests for the recognition program/lunch in Columbus.
|April 15, 2024
|ESCs, students and guests attend the award program/lunch where the student winners will be recognized, presented with an award and ESC rep and student will be photographed.
|April 17, 2024 (approx)
|OESCA sends ESCs promotional materials (i.e. sample press release, social media posts, photo files). OESCA will also mail students hard copies of the professional photographs when printed.
Applicant must be a high school senior enrolled in a public school district (local, city, exempted village, Joint Vocational School District/Career Technical Center or STEM) - within the ESC’s service region. Recipients should demonstrate outstanding academic achievement as indicated by high school grades, test scores, community service, and school activities and awards. Educational Service Centers shall select one awardee per ESC (multi-county ESCs may select one awardee per county for local recognition but only one awardee per county will be recognized at the state-level event).
AWARD PROGRAM & LUNCHEON:
Award winners will be invited, along with guests, to attend a special recognition luncheon. Students will be recognized by their peers and state education leaders. Each ESC is limited to 5 attendees per ESC recipient, which includes the award recipient, the ESC superintendent or designee, and up to 3 guests. There are no exceptions due to space limitations and a return to recognizing EACH county versus one recipient per ESC. Deadline for registration is April 8, 2024. Any cancellations must be in writing and be received no later than April 11, 2024. There will be a processing fee charge equal to 6% of refund for any refund checks issued. Registration begins at 11:15 a.m. An award recipient group photo will take place at 11:45 a.m., followed by the luncheon at noon and the awards program at approximately 12:45 p.m. Costs: $55 per recipient for the engraved award and $55 per luncheon attendee.
OESCA created the Franklin B. Walter All-Scholastic Award in 1990 to honor Franklin B. Walter one of our past Ohio State Superintendents, and to recognize one top student scholar from each county in Ohio. Franklin B. Walter served as state superintendent from March 1977 until August 1991. Throughout his career, Dr. Walter exemplified concern for young people and dedicated his life to the improvement of education in Ohio.